Day 2 arrived and in typical Scottish fashion- it started of dull and driech. We were up early and cooked breakfast- cant beat a bacon roll. Lynn being a vegetarian, had to make do with an egg roll- she doesnt know what she is missing!

We packed up and followed the track east above the south shore of Loch Affric. I’ve read on several occasions that this track is called the Yellow Brick road and we discussed which characters we could be from the Wizard of Oz- apparently I was the Tin Man as Lynn joked that I had no heart! Lynn said she was the Scarecrow in need of a brain!

Soon we left the track to climb south initally up the path and over the hill to Cougie. There was a short diversion at the start of this, with a small Hydro scheme in progress of being built, but with other challengers, we soon picked up the path climbing steadily past old pine trees and small waterfalls.




We walked up the hill with other challengers emerging onto a track and had a short break, before deciding which was the correct path to take to Cougie- yet more short but steep climbs in the mist!

The path turned into a track which joined a forestry track that drops down to Cougie. Lynn got talking to Donna Bairstow- a challenger from the Isle of Man whilst i plodded on ahead and sometimes lagged behind looking to find spots to take decent photos.

The track to Cougie seemed to go on forever, but eventually we found the sign for Cougie Lodge and discovered they were laying on refreshments for challengers- I had a bacon roll (again), a bowl of soup and a coffee which was well needed as I was beginning to tire on the last few kilometers of that track.


I felt refreshed after all that and we were ready to tackle another climb over the Bealach Feith Na Gamhna to Glen Moriston which was new territory to me.

Off we went with Donna and Rob accompanying us up the hill. We found the lovely old track which was steep but very scenic as it wound its way through the old trees.

We made good progress up the hill emerging out of the trees high on the hillside where the track soon stopped becoming a good path to start off with. The weather was on our side and we could clearly see the way ahead.

From what I had heard the top of this bealach was a walkers nightmare of peat hags, but the path continued to wind its way around the hags although faint in places, we managed to follow it without much of a problem.

The path did run out as we started the long descent to Glen Moriston and it was boggy, but we kept close to the river and followed deer tracks most of the way as it wound its way down to the Glen. We took a path down between the forest and the river which made for good going, but as the path went further down, blown down trees made progress harder.

Eventually we emerged onto an opening above the single track road on the north side of Glen Morriston. I think all of us had enough for one day and we looked for suitable places to pitch up for the evening.

Our camping spot was only 15 meters from the roadside on a lovely grassy spot and only one car passed during our night there.



Showers of rain were coming in, so tent was pitched quickly and stove was soon on the go for a cup of coffee and our evening meal.

Rob and Donna had set up camp higher up than us on smaller patches of grassy areas and Willie turned up later in the evening having taken a different route over to Glen Moriston- he had been looking for a spot further up the Glen but to no avail and was glad when he had spotted us whilst walking down the road.

Our pitch was nearer the roadside than what we would have prefered, but it was the flatest spot I could find for our larger tent.


It was a quiet evening and we all slept well.